12 October, 2006

One Step Closer

When I started the New Icelanders' Party last July, it was to provide representation for the immigrant community where there was little or none before. My hope was not just to gather support for my own party, which has happened, but also to encourage the other five parties to take immigration issues more seriously. This has finally happened as well.

Not too long ago, I was approached by members of the Leftist-Green Party. They wanted to know about the concerns of the immigrant community, and I told them everything that's been conveyed to me by immigrants living in Iceland. The Leftist-Green Party has been very receptive in their desire to help provide what is needed by the immigrant community, and I've been impressed with their sincerity.

Last week, I was asked by members of the party to run for seats 1 to 3 for Reykjavík North, Reykjavík South and the Greater Reykjavík Area for the Leftist-Green Party in the parliamentary elections. It is my honour to announce that I have accepted the offer.

With the merging of the New Icelanders' Party with the Leftist-Greens, we take yet another big step towards reformation of Icelandic immigration law. With your vote and your support, I will bring your concerns directly into the halls of parliament. This has been our goal all along. By joining the Leftist-Green Party and casting your vote for me, this goal will become a reality.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home